Reporting to the publisher, the sales representative at the Humboldt Journal/East Central Trader sells newspaper advertising to clients including ROP (run of press), feature and special publication advertising. As well, the sales representative has the opportunity to sell special projects and commercial print.
The sales rep can be lead on special projects including newspaper features and special sections, and may be responsible for generating ideas, sourcing or providing content, meeting press deadlines and distribution. The sales rep also offers digital advertising solutions to clients and manages digital sales from introduction through implementation.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide excellent customer service to clients. Make regular calls to clients and offer beneficial advertising solutions.
• Manage the advertising process from discussion with clients through publication.
• Book and deliver ads and approvals within publication timelines.
• Resolve customer complaints by investigating the issue, developing a solution and working with management as necessary.
• Keep management informed by submitting activity and results reports as requested.
• Maintain client contact files.
• Keep track of sales and commissions. Provide reports to the publisher according to schedule.
• Offer commercial print to clients and manage orders generated through completion.
• Working with the Publisher, provide support for special projects including identifying potential advertisers, selling ads and generating content ideas. The advertising sales representative may also create content or work with the Publisher and editorial staff to source content. As part of the team, ensure the timely completion of publications.
• Manage distribution of special projects as applicable.
• Help generate ideas for new features/products.
• Seek and develop relationships with new/returning clients.
• Stay aware of what is happening in the marketplace to help generate advertising leads. This may include businesses opening or closing, changes to businesses, new products, service or staff, and any other changes that might generate or help improve clients’ advertising messages.
• Monitor competition and, when appropriate, gather current marketplace information on pricing, products, new products, new or changed businesses.
• Provide support to front office staff. The advertising sales representative will be trained in front office
procedures including counter sales, cash handling, daily balancing and DTI order entry, and will fill-in
for front office staff periodically, including for vacations.
• Help with distribution of newspaper and other products.
• Work with staff from other departments to ensure the success of our publications.
Send a resume to vdurnin[at]humboldtjournal[dot]ca. Deadline for applications is January 17, 2018.